postcards and philatelic covers in special topics.
Available for sale or swap.

Centenary of (the loss of) RMS Titanic

$1.00

Centenary of RMS Titanic sinking
April 15 1912 - 2012
Launched on 31 May 1911
Completed on 31 March 1912
Sank on 15 April 1912, after collision with an iceberg during her maiden voyage from Southampton to New York with the loss of 1514 peoples.
Titanic carried 2224 passengers and crews.

Map of Titanic voyage from Southampton (United Kingdom) to Cherbourg (France), then to Queenstown (Iraland) and then toward New York (USA)
Captain Edward John Smith, RD, RNR (1850 - 1012)
Titanic last survivor Mrs M. Dean (1912 - 2009)
Titanic Memorials
Titanic Ship crest
White Star Line Flag

Titanic Ship history:
Titanic was built at the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, Ireland and designed to compete with the rival Cunard Line's Lusitania and Mauretania. Titanic, along with her Olympic-class sisters, Olympic and the soon-to-be-built Britannic (originally named Gigantic), were intended to be the largest, most luxurious ships ever to sail. The designers were Lord Pirrie, a director of both Harland and Wolff and White Star, naval architect Thomas Andrews, Harland and Wolff's construction manager and head of their design department, and the Right Honourable Alexander Carlisle, the shipyard's chief draughtsman and general manager. Carlisle's responsibilities included the decorations, equipment and all general arrangements, including the implementation of an efficient lifeboat davit design. Carlisle would leave the project in 1910, before the ships were launched, when he became a shareholder in Welin Davit & Engineering Company Ltd, the firm making the davits.
Construction of RMS Titanic, funded by the American J.P. Morgan and his International Mercantile Marine Co., began on 31 March 1909. Titanic's hull was launched at 12:13 on 31 May 1911, and her outfitting was completed by 31 March the following year. Her length overall was 882 feet 9 inches (269.1 m), the moulded breadth (max. width) 92 feet (28 m),[22] the tonnage 46,328 GRT, and the height, from the water line to the boat deck, 59 feet (18 m). She was equipped with two reciprocating four-cylinder, triple-expansion steam engines and one low-pressure Parsons turbine, each driving a propeller. There were 29 boilers fired by 159 coal burning furnaces that made possible a top speed of 23 knots (43 km/h; 26 mph). Only three of the four 62 foot (19 m) funnels were functional: the fourth, which only provided ventilation, was added to make the ship look more impressive. Of the two steam-powered steering engines installed, one was kept in use and one kept in reserve; the engines could be slid away and disengaged when not required. A quarter-circle rack-and-pinion drive was connected to the short tiller through stiff springs, to isolate the engines from any shocks in heavy seas or during fast changes of direction. As a last resort, the tiller could be moved by ropes connected to two steam capstans
The ship was licensed to carry 3547 persons, passengers and crew.
The Titanic's design and construction featured luxury and opulence. There was a telephone system, a lending library and a large barber shop on the ship. The first-class section had a swimming pool, a gymnasium, squash court, Turkish bath, electric bath and a Verandah Cafe. First-class common rooms were adorned with ornate wood panelling, expensive furniture and other decorations while the third class general room had pine panelling and sturdy teak furniture. The Café Parisien offered cuisine for the first-class passengers, with a sunlit veranda fitted with trellis decorations.[28] The ship incorporated technologically advanced features for the period, including three electric lifts in first class and one in second class. She also had an extensive electrical system powered by steam-driven generators, ship-wide wiring for electric lights and two Marconi radios. One 5,000-watt set was manned by two Marconi Company operators working in shifts sending and receiving passenger messages. First-class passengers paid a hefty fee for such amenities; the most expensive one-way trans-Atlantic passage was £870
Rescue:
After steaming at 17.5 knots (32.4 km/h) for just under four hours, RMS Carpathia arrived in the area and at 4:10 am began rescuing survivors. By 8:30 am she picked up the last lifeboat with survivors and left the area at 8:50AM [79] bound for New York. On 18 April, Carpathia docked at Pier 54 at Little West 12th Street in New York with the survivors. She arrived at night and was greeted by thousands of people. Immediate relief in the form of clothing and transportation to shelters was provided by the Women's Relief Committee, the Travelers Aid Society of New York, and the Council of Jewish Women, among other organizations. Titanic had been heading for 20th Street. Carpathia dropped off the empty Titanic lifeboats at Pier 59, as property of the White Star Line, before unloading the survivors at Pier 54. Both piers were part of the Chelsea Piers built to handle luxury liners of the day. As news of the disaster spread, many people were shocked that Titanic could sink with such great loss of life despite all of her technological advances. On the morning of 15 April 1912, the White Star Line headquarters in Liverpool were besieged by press and relatives of passengers, officials feared leaving the building and therefore updated the crowds from the fourth floor balconies. Newspapers were filled with stories and descriptions of the disaster and were eager to get the latest information. Many charities were set up to help the victims and their families, many of whom lost their sole breadwinner, or, in the case of third class survivors, lost everything they owned. On 29 April opera stars Enrico Caruso and Mary Garden and members of the Metropolitan Opera raised $12,000 in benefits for victims of the disaster by giving special concerts. The people of Southampton were deeply affected by the sinking. According to the Hampshire Chronicle on 20 April 1912, almost 1,000 local families were directly affected. Almost every street in the Chapel district of the town lost more than one resident and over 500 households lost a member.

Add to Cart:

  • Model Number: cenT01
  • 112 Units in Stock


This product was added to our catalog on Monday 23 January, 2012.

Your IP Address is: 54.161.3.96
Copyright © 2017 Postcard Interactive Company of Sydney. Powered by Zen Cart