postcards and philatelic covers in special topics.
Available for sale or swap.

Victoria Barracks - NSW - Sydney Paddington

$1.00

Australia - New South Wales
Victoria Barracks, Sydney Paddington

Victoria Barracks were designed by Lieutenant-Colonel George Barney, who also built Fort Denison and reconstructed Circular Quay. Sydney’s first barracks had been at Wynyard Square, where the soldiers of the 11th (North Devonshire) Regiment of Foot had been able to enjoy all the privileges of living in the city: the pubs, the eating houses and the brothels. So there were groans of despair when they were uprooted to the lonely outpost that was Paddington. The site had been chosen because it had borehole water and was on the line an attacker from the east might use, but its main feature was scrub: heath, swamp and flying sand from the adjacent dunes, which caused conjunctivitis (known as ‘Paddington pink-eye’). And while the main building and parade ground were (and still are) quite stunning, the soldiers’ quarters were cramped, and British regiments dreaded being posted to Australia.
The Regency style Main Barracks building was constructed of Hawkesbury sandstone by convicts between 1841 and 1846. The first building completed was the Officers' Quarters which was completed in 1842.
The Main Barrack Block was completed in 1846 and was designed to accommodate 650 soldiers. The bell and clock were added to the building in 1856. The Barracks were originally occupied by regiments of the British Army. The British troops vacated the Barracks in 1870. The Barracks was the premier military training site in Australia for many years, from its completion until after Federation in 1901.
The Bungalow was built in 1847 as the Barrack Master's Residence. The Garrison Hospital was built in 1845 to accommodate 36 patients. During the 1930s it was converted into an Officers' Mess.
The gate on Oxford Street is referred to as the Queen Victoria Gate while the gate on Moore Park road is known as the Convict Gate. Busby's Bore, was Sydney's second water supply, built by convicts between 1827 and 1837. An access shaft is located at the museum.
For a brief period during the 1930s Victoria Barracks was home to the Royal Military College, Duntroon when the College was forced to close its buildings in Canberra and relocate to Sydney due to the economic downturn caused by the Great Depression.
The Army Museum of NSW is housed in the original District Military Prison, constructed in 1800. The museum is also home to a ghost, Charlie the Redcoat, who hanged himself while incarcerated for shooting his sergeant.

Add to Cart:

  • Model Number: misV02
  • 78 Units in Stock


This product was added to our catalog on Sunday 26 December, 2010.

Your IP Address is: 35.172.233.215
Copyright © 2020 Postcard Interactive Company of Sydney. Powered by Zen Cart